This afternoon, President Obama claimed his economic policies “pulled our economy back from the brink and put us on a better path.”
- President Obama: “In the closing weeks of the campaign the bottom fell out of the economy and the middle class got hammered some more ... That demanded that we make some tough decisions. Decisions we know now have pulled our economy back from the brink and put us on a better path.” (President Obama, 6/28/11)
Let’s take a look at the facts: Tens of thousands more Americans are unemployed now then when President Obama signed the $787 billion dollar stimulus into law, which the Administration promised would keep unemployment under 8%. Instead of touting his own failed economic policies, it’s time for the President to get serious and put forward a plan that actually puts Americans back to work and doesn’t raise taxes.
- Unemployment Rate In Iowa When The Stimulus Was Signed: 5.2%
- Unemployment Rate In Iowa May, 2011: 6.0%
- National Unemployment Rate When The Stimulus Was Signed: 8.2%
- National Unemployment Rate For May, 2011: 9.1%