Today, Leader Pelosi declared “it is clear we must enter an era of austerity.” However under her Speakership, Pelosi amassed a record precisely the opposite of austerity adding over $5.3 trillion to the national debt.
- Under Then Speaker Pelosi’s Stewardship, $5.32 Trillion Was Added To The Debt. (U.S. Department Of Treasury Website, 7/25/11)
- Former Speaker Pelosi Helped President Obama Add Nearly $3.5 Trillion To The Debt. “Just as President Obama signed and sent his annual Economic Report to Congress, the Treasury Department posted numbers that show the national debt has increased $3.5 trillion so far on Mr. Obama's watch.” (CBS News, 2/23/11)
- Former Speaker Pelosi, House Democrats Failed To Pass A Budget For The First Time Since The Current Budget Rules Were Implemented In 1974. “Yet for all its last-minute drama and attendant partisan theatrics, the bill — made necessary after Democrats failed to pass a 2011 budget in the last Congress — was just an opening act for more consequential battles to come before this Congress.” (The New York Times, 4/15/11)
- Former Speaker Pelosi Was The Lead Advocate In The House For The President’s $787 Billion Failed Stimulus (The Associated Press, 2/13/09)
- Former Speaker Pelosi Was The Lead Voice On President Obama’s Trillion Dollar Health Care Overhaul (The Associated Press, 3/22/10)