Please keep the following in mind when watching President Obama’s sit-down with Barbara Walters:
• President Obama: “You know, you never want to say, 'It's all them,'" Obama said in an exclusive interview with ABC News' Barbara Walters. "But I do think that right now at least, in the Republican Party there are a couple of notions. Number one is that compromise is a dirty word. Number two, anything that Obama's for, we're against." … "If I propose a health care bill that is full of Republican ideas … suddenly, they become against it," he said. (ABC News, 12/15/11)
Despite his claims, House Republicans have shown they’re willing to work with the President on areas of common ground – and have done so too.
• 3% Withholding Rule Repeal – Signed into law
• 1099 Repeal – Signed into law
• Patent Reform – Signed into law
• Incentives for Hiring Veterans – Signed into law
• Colombia FTA – Signed into law
• Panama FTA – Signed into law
• South Korea FTA – Signed into law
• Budget Control Act – Signed into law
Now there’s only a few things left to do this year on the “to do” list and it’s his party that’s holding it up:
• Bipartisan funding measure
• The bipartisan Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act to extend the payroll tax and unemployment insurance, boost the economy and create jobs
Instead of amping up the rhetoric, the President should join Republicans in Congress on areas of common ground where we can make incremental progress to get the economy going and create jobs.